Monday, March 27, 2006

Inside Man

I was looking forward to seeing this. Firstly it’s directed by Spike Lee. Secondly it’s cast includes Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer and Willem Dafoe. Also it’s been describes as being reminicant of Dog Day Afternoon.
This reference to Dog Day Afternoon…well…hmmm? Yes it’s a bank robbery but I’m lost when it comes to seeing any other similarities. Marketing bullshit.
Spike Lee has made some great films but I think he’s really gone off the boil. Let me explain where I think this film goes wrong with this one. For some reason Mr. Lee has tried to combine humour with the high gloss of an expensive thriller. It all gets a bit confusing. The film doesn’t know what it’s supposed to be. There were so many elements to this film and each one had a completely different style. It just didn’t flow. One minute it’s a thriller. The next minute a comedy. The next a buddy movie. It’s not the worst movie I’ve seen. I enjoyed bits of it. When it was funny it was funny and the whole look the film was pretty good. But there was so much cheese in the script it stank.
Yolanda hated it. She had enough after the first 5 mins. If it was a DVD she would have turned it off and watched the TV instead.
I didn’t hate it. I thought it had potential but it all went wrong. But the more I think about it the more I know I don’t want to see it ever again.
My advice; save your money or go and see something else.

No comments: