Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Suicide biggest 'killer' of under 35s in Ireland

In an article here I see that Ireland continues to have a huge problem with suicide. What this article doesn't mention is that the ratio of men to women committing suicide is something like 7 to 1. So most of this figure is made up of young men.
I know this has been a growing problem over the last 10 years because I've heard the increasing number of stories. What concerns me is that little seems to be being done about it.
I've read in another article that fewer people are being admitted as inpatient to psychiatric care, this being because of a trend towards community psychiatric facilities and a drop in mentally ill people being treated in hospitals.
I find the whole thing very concerning and wish that someone would start to take this issue a bit more seriously. There is a distinct problem in Ireland that occurs no where else in the world.

No comments: